MAISON YVES DUPORT

VINS DU BUGEY

VINS DU BUGEY







LE BUGEY
 
Bugey, a story with its roots anchored in the mists of time.

Bugey's story began with Julius Caesar's conquests of Gaul. It enjoyed spectacular growth in that period, due to its location near Lyon (then the capital of Gaul) on the road to Italy.

 

From the 9th century onwards, Bugey was part of the Second Burgundian Kingdom and then part of the Holy Roman Empire.

 

Many monasteries were built here, such as the Abbey of Saint Sulpice and Chartreuse de Portes (1115). The monks decided to expand viticulture. Belley and its region then became part of the House of Savoy.

 

The 18th century saw the development of the first industries and domestic winemaking, dominated by the working class.

 

At the dawn of the French Revolution, a certain J. A. Brillat- Savarin became a deputy for the Third Estate (representing the Bugey region).

 

The Romans, who were good agronomists, found Gaul's first vines in our region.

 

Wine growing expanded with the monks in the Middle Ages. In 1958, Bugey wines obtained appellation d'origine status. Family tradition, subsoil and exposure have made it possible to identify the "choice of grape varieties".

 

These choices and winemaking methods have resulted in a range of very different wines. Elegant, rounded, balanced, fresh and structured, with a complex nose and great personality in their finesse.

Le Bugey